Saturday, May 10, 2014

Day -1: Test Ride and Final Preparation


I had 6 hours of sleep last night.  Not bad, certainly better than the any of the previous 3 nights.  Feeling a little better rested, I took my bike out for a test ride this morning to El Segundo Beach and made my way left along The Strand bike path to Manhattan Pier, the site of our ceremonial wheel dip in the Pacific Ocean tomorrow morning.

2001 Litespeed Arenberg

Approach to El Segundo Beach

The Strand bike path approaching the Manhattan Beach Pier.

A local surfing competition was going on this morning.
Beachfront residences -- 1 minute from the bike/run path along
the Pacific Ocean and 2 min from some juicy waves, Bud.

Can you count the number of things in this photo
that you don't regularly see in Michigan? Forget about the ship,
surfers, and waves for a minute.  I had no idea that
pelicans flew in a pace line.
Can't say I've seen this sign before either.

TSUNAMI HAZARD ZONE
IN CASE OF EARTHQUAKE GO
TO HIGH GROUND OR INLAND

Later on I had lunch with Chuck Hardesty (financial company manager from Missouri), Alan Hatcher (dentist and dental practice consultant from Arizona or Minnesota, depending on the time of year), and Tim Walmsley (retired building surveyor from Great Britain).  All were great guys to talk to and quick to share a cycling story and a few laughs.  

At our first formal route rap (preparation for next day's ride), Tracy Leiner (owner and founder of Cross Roads) provided tremendous enthusiasm and clearly demonstrated her passion for her company and the safety of the riders.  She reminded us of the tremendous feeling of accomplishment that awaits us in Boston some 7 weeks from now.  At happy hour and dinner tonight, I met and spoke with at least half of the rest of the riders on this trip.  It's quite an assembly of talented, well-traveled, successful people.  I look forward to riding with this group for the next 7 weeks and getting to know each of them much better.  So many stories and life experiences to hear, and so little time.

I know many of you wrote me an email when I announced I was writing a blog.  I'm sorry I haven't responded directly to each of your kind notes.  I will answer each one as soon as I can.  In the meantime, thanks much for writing and checking in.

That's it for now.  I need some sleep.  We have breakfast tomorrow at 5:30am and will be on our way to Manhattan Pier to dip our wheels in the Pacific at 7am.  Then, we're off for Riverside, CA.








No comments:

Post a Comment