Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Day 10: Holbrook AZ to Gallup NM


 Today was much the same as yesterday. The temperature today started in the high 50Fs at 7am and peaked in the high 90Fs.  The wind was essentially the same SSW that occasionally changed it's vector slightly throughout the SW quadrant, but in general always provided a helping hand.  We did climb a bit more today than yesterday (2345 ft vs 932 ft), but most of that elevation gain seemed to be concentrated in only a few long hills.

Our route again was mainly along I-40 with a wide shoulder that was relatively free of debris in most areas, yet there were a few areas with sharp debris scattered the width of the shoulder making it impossible to completely avoid running over some of it.  Consequently, there were quite a number of punctured tires today (I had 3, as did Alan), all of which were from the tiny shards of metal wire.

Little metal terrorist found during post-ride check.  Sometimes you can't detect them from the outside because
they have broken off, but the part that penetrated is still working it's way toward the tube with each successive rotation.
After today and yesterday, I will pull both wheels and check each tire completely.


The following photos and videos were taken along I-40E today.  It should provide a decent idea of the scenery, road conditions, and funky Route 66 relics.

It wasn't so much about the dinosaur as that it appeared to have a human figure in its mouth.


First SAG stop (top of the exit ramp) at Mile 32.

SAG 1 featured peanut butter, honey, and raisin sandwiches and apple strudel!

Film?


You are with us -- sights and sounds on I-40E

You are with us -- sights and sounds on I-40E



I forgot to bring my Pacific Ocean beach sand, so I could not offer any to the elves and fairies.
This could mean trouble in New Mexico.


Thanks Geoffrey!
Any desire I might have had to take advantage of the supportive winds and push the pace today ended with the second flat.  And this helped to remind me why I am here -- to slow down, enjoy the views, appreciate this country and really see it at ground level from end-to-end.  Oh, I still want to crank it up at some time later on, but it wasn't going to happen today.  All considered, it was a great day to ride 92 miles.

Geoffrey has updated his judgment of milkshakes across America.  The Dairy Queen in Flagstaff had a fudge shake that was Poor ("the cherry was the best part").  However, the same establishment served Geoffrey a mocha shake that had good coffee flavor and good texture.  He judged it to be Very Good.  Finally, Geoffrey has rated  the venerable chocolate shake at a McDonald's in Holbrook to be Terrible.  

Day 10 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Holbrook, AZ to Gallup, NM



6 comments:

  1. You got the pix. Tx so much. To me that billboard says so much about change: Kodak, film, Route 66, the town. Also Geoffrey is a discriminating fellow. I must say I guzzled the milkshakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it might be written in Hope, Your Welcome! I almost blew right by it and then the light went off "Hey! That's the billboard!"

      Delete
  2. Herm, your blog just keeps getting better! Love the addition of video. You captured the trains which are so much a part of the Southwest story. I'm sure that you can feel, smell and hear them from your Litespeed in a way that can't be matched by a Ford. You are looking (and sounding) stronger every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mike. Your blog last year was my inspiration for adding the videos. Not gutsy enough to shoot them while riding though. I didn't load them to the page properly. Check back later this morning and I should have them corrected. They didn't play properly for me this morning.

      Delete
  3. Herm - It has been inspirational to read your blog each day. Have to crank up the miles when I can to get prepared. Longer story, let you know in email. Looking forward to tomorrows entry.

    ReplyDelete