Friday, May 30, 2014

Day 20: Liberal to Dodge City, KS

Once again, the skies were clear blue and light south winds were in the forecast.  I knew our northeasterly route would start as the continuation of the smooth, wide, and safe US 54E and eventually turn north for the final 20 miles into Dodge City.  Additionally, we learned there would be only 1200 feet of climbing. Consequently, I expected a fast and friendly 82 miles today, time to take in a few historical sites, and time to walk around a bit after the ride ended.  Unfortunately, that would not be the case. What would become my day reminds me of a bit on "heaviness" done by Rodney Dangerfield, an American comedian known for his self-deprecating jokes.

"I wake up, and the heaviness is waiting for me.  Sometimes I even talk to it.  I say cheerfully 'Hi Heaviness!'.  Heaviness looks back at me and in a gravelly voice says ominously 'Today you're going to get it good.  You'll be drinking early today.'"

Yep, I got it good (no energy and aching leg muscles), and I did drink early and often (iced water, Gatorade, Cherry Coke).  Let's just say I had a bad day.  Unfortunately, that made me focus only on getting to our Dodge City hotel, and not savoring the journey as I would otherwise.  

Continuation of  US 54E.  Smooth roads, wide shoulders, and .......

..........low amber waves of grain.

At Mile 38, we entered the town of Meade.  Meade's major tourist attraction is the purported hideout of the Dalton Gang, notorious bank and train robbers of the American Old West.  The temperature by this time was in the 90Fs and heat is never felt more intensely then when one stops riding.  Because I was uncomfortable on the bike from the start and the heat was starting to get to me,  I really cared only about taking a few photos and then moving on without attending the Hideout tour.  My loss.  I heard later from other riders that it was very interesting and informative.

Finding the Dalton Gang Hideout is not all that difficult these days.

Home of Eva Dalton Whipple, a sister of the Dalton brothers.  A tunnel leading from the house to a nearby barn
was ostensibly used by the Dalton Gang to avoid detection of their comings and goings.

At Mile 60, we turned north onto US 283N for the final 20-mile stretch to Dodge City.
The road surface was just as good as US 54E, but the width of the shoulder was now only 3-4 ft. which feels like 3-4 inches when large semi trucks are passing in opposite directions next to you.



Entering Dodge City from the south along US 283 N

CrossRoads Day 20 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Liberal to Dodge City, KS
After taking a mid-afternoon nap, eating a large dinner, and hydrating well the remainder of the day, I hope to avoid any "heaviness" during our 84 mile ride tomorrow to Great Bend, KS.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear it was a Heavy day. Sounds like you have a good plan for tomorrow though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Denis. It worked out better, but still not up to par.

      Delete