Sunday, June 1, 2014

Day 22: Great Bend to McPherson, KS

Our ride today started at 8am with temperatures in the low 70Fs and a mild SSW wind.  It appeared our 64-mile route due east to McPherson, KS, might be helped by a quartering tailwind, or at least not hindered by a headwind.

As in previous days, our route continued along the same highway, this time US 56E.  The muscle aches from previous days were gone, but I still had some sluggishness left.  So much so that the three riders I started of the day with -- Chuck, Michael, and Tim -- had each moved ahead at their own faster paces by about Mile 5.  Other than the group splitting up, the first 10 miles were relatively uneventful and followed the familiar two-lane highway with wide, smooth shoulders.  At Mile 11, I stopped briefly in the small town of Ellinwood to take a photo of a downtown wall mural before continuing on to our SAG stop in Lyons.  


Another large outdoor mural in Ellinwood depicting the history of the area.  In searching for the artist's name,
I found this interesting site that details the creation of this mural last year.
(http://www.ellinwoodusa.org/Mural/Mural.html)

No photos were taken during the next 20 miles between Ellinwood and Lyons.  First, there really wasn't much change in the scenery.  Second, I was starting to feel more energetic than I have in days and I wanted to enjoy a stretch of continuous riding.  And third, I knew that our group ate only half of the giant delicious chocolate birthday cake given to Jan (CrossRoads staff member) by her son the previous night.  I was looking forward to another piece of that cake and washing it down with a mocha shake from the Dairy Queen where the SAG was located.  I was on a mission.

So, at Lyons, cake was eaten, a shake was drank, and then I was off again for the final 32 miles to McPherson.  By this time, the temperature had risen into the mid-high 80Fs and the winds seemed stronger and were more out of the south producing a moderate crosswind with occasional quartering tailwind. However, there was a lot to see in this stretch and I had promised myself I would not bypass any unusual or educational photo opportunities as I had two days ago.  The following photos were taken along this stretch.

Though I'm not certain, the cattle with the large horns are probably Watusi.
The white ones on the right with floppy ears are most likely Zebu or Brahman cattle.

Central States Alfalfa Corp. grows hay and contracts hay from other growers meeting
strict standards for subsequent sale and delivery to customers.

Alfalfa of "The Little Rascals" is used in CSAC signage. 

Sometimes these historical markers just aren't that informative or satisfying.
This one needs focus and a reason for being here.

This field of clover had a sweet fragrance.  Smelling it and 
watching the flower heads sway in the wind was as enticing to me
as the poppy field was to the Cowardly Lion.

Huge hydrocarbon (isobutane) gas plant outside McPherson, KS

It's always nice to see the destination city limit sign!

Commemorative statue and plaque honoring Major General James B. McPherson,
man for whom McPherson County and the city of McPherson were named.
Location adjacent to McPherson County Court House.

McPherson County Court House
 Although the temperature and winds continued to increase throughout the ride, I felt stronger with every passing mile. We have one more ride tomorrow -- 64 miles to Abilene, KS -- before our rest day.  I'm hoping these easy days will help me consolidate some fitness gains and help me to ride a little better and more consistently for the rest of the tour.  Time will tell.

On a sad note, we had to say goodbye tonight to CrossRoads staff member Carol whose scheduled time with the tour ended today.  We will miss her warmth and friendly support, as well as her fantastic culinary creations that are a cyclist's best friend at the SAG stops.

Three Women and a Truck
(CrossRoads staff members Eileen, Jan, Carol)

CrossRoads Day 22 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Great Bend to McPherson, KS



2 comments:

  1. I remember doing the Watusi at a high school dance about 1/2 a century ago. I now know what we were emulating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People who saw you thought you were doing the "Cry for Help". ;-)

      Delete