Monday, June 30, 2014

Day 48: Ride to Revere Beach

Our final ride of the cross country trip -- a short 17 miles to Revere Beach and the Atlantic Ocean -- started this morning (Fri, Jun 27) at 7:15am.  The sky was sunny and clear, the temperature was in the mid 60Fs, and there was no discernible wind.  In fewer words, a perfect morning.  Groups consisting of 2-3 riders each were sent off every 3 minutes to create space (at least initially) for facilitating travel along narrow, somewhat busy, residential and business district streets.

Our group rode slowing and with vigilance through the neighborhoods between our hotel in Burlington and Revere Beach.  The last thing any of us wanted was a tire puncture or an accident.  In order for all riders on the tour to group up before riding the final miles together, all groups were asked to stop and wait at a community pool approximately 4 miles from the beach.


Leading the way to Revere Beach were (L to R) Joanne (Mrs Stuart), Stuart, and Geoffrey.
Pierre and Mrs Pierre (Sharon) in foreground.

Michael and Michelle (Mrs Michael) start their ride in style.


Tim (left), Chuck (right), and I are ready to roll.
Riding through neighborhoods to Revere Beach (2 photos)


Everyone gathered a second time at a community pool before riding in solidarity
to Revere Beach for the ceremonial completion of our 7-week ride across America.
L to R:  Darrell, Ross, Pierre, Alan, Richard, Barry, Michael, Joanne, Stuart, Geoffrey, Tim, me.
Missing from photo are Michelle and Chuck.
Randy - an original XC2014 rider who was injured  and could not complete the tour this year --
is considered to be with us in spirit.
Leaving the community pool for Revere Beach 
Cresting the hill near Revere Beach

Arriving at Revere Beach



Ceremonial dipping of the front wheel in the Atlantic Ocean.
I rode Every F---king Inch (EFI) of XC2014 .....


Tim (far left), Michael (second from left), and Chuck (far right) are great guys
who were frequent riding buddies
I sure hope I can connect with Tim (left), Geoffrey (right), and Richard (with family in photo below)
in an event in their home country England.  Their humor, comradeship, and intelligent perspectives on America and American life made me laugh often, caused me to think in a different way, or made me realize that I can sometimes take for granted the tremendous bounty that is America.  
Benevolent, strong-legged King Richard with his family.
(L to R: Future son-in-law Chris, Princess Sophie, Queen Jane, His Excellency, and Prince Edward)

To all the CrossRoads XC2014 riders and staff......I SALUTE YOU!
Whether we rode together a little or a lot, I learned much from you about cycling and life.
I am a better and stronger person for knowing you.



That's it.  I'm tired, but very content.  In a few days, I'll publish my final thoughts and even previous random ones that I never worked into a post.  Thanks to all of you who rode along virtually for a day, a week, or for the whole trip.  Thanks too for all of your well wishes and words of encouragement.  I hope this blog provided a little light entertainment along the way at least, if not an inspiration for you to live your dreams.

Happy and safe rides always,

Herm




10 comments:

  1. My old stomping grounds Herm, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Herm, very well done, great pictures. At least you had goode weather on the final run in, we had rain and fog in 2013. Many similar emotions. Visit me if ever in Edinburgh, Scotland. Best wishes and safe riding. Chris Oliver XC2013

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris. Yes, I remember reading about the dismal conditions you had on the last day. Thank you for the invitation! Maybe I'll do LEJOG one day. Safe rides to you as well!

      Delete
  3. An incredible journey that I looked forward to reading about everyday. Can't wait to hear your tales when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Herm, thanks for taking us on your adventure. Aside from riding EFI, you did an absolutely fantastic job with your blog. Descriptive, literary, great photography and videography, at times touching and always honest. As for the ride, like everything else in life, you can only get out of it what you put into it. You totally immersed yourself and came away with a rich, lasting experience. I'd say you got your money's worth and then some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mike,

    You are so welcome, my friend. You set the bar high with your XC2012 blog and with your mentorship. I'm very happy to think I even came close to your contribution. If someone in XC2015 reaches out to me, I will gladly help them as you helped me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Herm,
    Many thanks for your very interesting and informative blog.
    I'm from the UK and signed up for XC2016 so was really pleased to read all about your adventure and experiences.
    I am looking forward to the challenge and training very hard at the moment - May 2016 will come around very quickly I am sure.
    Kindest regards, Ian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ian. Sorry, I haven't been getting notifications about comments being left and just saw yours. I'm glad you enjoyed the blog. It was a wonderful trip for me, and I have many wonderful memories of riding with your 3 countrymen (Geoffrey, Richard, Tim). Best wishes for a great trip this year. Ride your ride!

      Delete