Saturday, June 7, 2014

Day 28: Chillicothe to Kirksville MO

I was running late this morning after almost oversleeping my alarm clock and being generally slow because of cumulative fatigue.  I rushed through breakfast, hurried to clean up and pack, and then hustled to the lobby.  As I ran out the lobby door to pump up my tires to 100 psi and to load my bags in the truck, CrossRoads staff member Jan called me aside and said "No rush, the early group is being called back because of lightning."  Only then did I see feel the rain, see distant lightning through the dark cloudy sky, and hear the rumble of thunder.  For the next two hours, we watched the radar and waited for announcement of our new start times.

The lightning caused our normal starting times to be delayed.  Making good use of this extra time
are (L to R):   Alan (rotating his tires), Ross and Pierre relaxing, and Geoffrey adjusting the fit of his rain pants.

The lightning had stopped by 8:45am.   Today, our group left for Kirksville at 9am in the rain.  It poured continually during the first 26 miles while we rode on the wide filthy shoulder of busy US 36E.  As expected, the rain flushed up even more sharp debris from cracks in the asphalt and many riders had tire punctures. Fixing a flat tire is not fun at any time, but even less so when you are pelted by rain from above and coated with grimy spray from cars passing by at 60 mph just 6 feet away from you.

Although we eventually left US 36E to progress to Kirksville along a less traveled US 11N, the rain was not so easily evaded.  In fact, it became much worse during Miles 26 to 76, the 51-mile segment of the route containing 146 climbs  (CrossRoads count; independently confirmed by me with 95% confidence) with up to 9% grade.  Oh yeah, in addition, Miles 60-76 were also against a headwind.

US 36E on a rainy morning.


Overflowing river banks and flooded farm land were common.

Essentially, our tired bodies battled a constant down pour and frequent driving rain for all 76 miles; relentless, formidable, serpentine hills for the final 51 miles; and frequent headwinds for the final 20 miles.   I would love to say I was strong enough mentally today to enjoy the ride for the challenge it presented, and for the personal growth that will result from meeting this challenge.  But I can't.  This wasn't a ride I enjoyed, but a ride that I endured and completed only as one small task toward achieving a greater goal.  It was drudgery, nothing more.



Mile 76 just before the hotel.
(I want a hot shower.  I want a sandwich.  I want a nap.)

CrossRoads Day 28 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Chillicothe to Kirksville, MO

6 comments:

  1. On a supported tour, you gotta ride hell or high water. Our year was hell in the heat and you seemed to have drawn high water. I am enjoying the blogs and re-riding the routes. Surprising how many details I recall and recognize. Hemmingway said "It is by riding a bike you learn the contours of a country well." or maybe by the altitude graphs:) Ride on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I can remember routes when I read the XC2015 rider's blogs. Yes, I am learning contours..... and pronunciations, like Chillicothe. It's also stimulating an appetite for US history and geography, something I never cared all that much about until the last 5 years or so.

      Delete
  2. Saw the radar map before your start. Could only hope you got out ahead of the storm. Thought you might have ridden north of it.. Guess I was wrong on both accounts. The look on your face tells alot. Glad you persevered. The strength gained from this will come later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. True to your pre-ride commitment, you are "telling it like it is". If there is any redemptive value to the Kirksville ride, it will come in the form of indelibly inscribing on your brain and muscles what you are capable of doing. Although, I think at the moment you are struggling with the "why". You are indeed an Ironman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. Actually, I'm not having difficulty with 'why". EFI keeps me focused on days like that.

      Delete