Thursday, June 19, 2014

Day 39: Niles OH to Erie PA

The skies were overcast this morning, it was humid and warm, and we knew a storm was probable.  But at least it wasn't raining yet and we were looking forward to our rest day tomorrow in Erie. Besides, 89 miles seems like a break when the route is relatively flat and your last 3 days averaged 100 miles.


The rain moved in by Mile 5.
 Not that it mattered -- we were already soaked from sweat in our sauna suits (aka rain jackets)
Now when the days seem to run together, you take notice when the routine of wake-eat-ride-wash-eat-sleep is broken up by something new.  Today,   Michelle (Michael's wife and one of our original XC014 riders) was able to rejoin the group after 3-4 weeks of recovering from an ITB injury.  Also joining us briefly was their son Mike who rode his bike with us to the first SAG stop which, by the way, arrived sooner than planned.

By Mile 10, the skies were becoming darker, clouds were moving quicker, the temperature was dropping. There was no significant rain yet, but you could tell we were riding into a bit of trouble ahead.

The sky was darker than this photo implies, but the bright show from these flowering trees
really lit up the road for for a few hundred feet.
Around Mile 15, Rick (CrossRoads staff mechanic) drove up in a van and checked in on my intention to keep riding.  He said the serious storm center had passed us miles ahead, but there were still remnants heading our way.  I planned on continuing, but agreed to call in if I decided to seek shelter ahead.  The weather was changing quickly.  So quickly, that 5 miles later in the little village of Gustavos, we were all directed off the road to an open picnic shelter. Within seconds, it was pouring rain and getting cooler.  We would stay there for about an hour.

Our storm shelter stop became our SAG stop when staff brought out a nice selection of our usual road food
plus some of Carol's wonderful creations of chicken salad and fruit parfaits. 

Our view from the picnic shelter for the next hour. (2 photos)


Well, if you've been following this blog, you've probably noted my daily energy levels are not consistent. Today was no different.  I wasn't particularly strong this morning, but I wasn't weak either.  There are so many physical and mental variables that ultimately affect this balance, so I accept whatever energy seems to be available at the time and do with it what I will.  Sometimes I feel strong, but I just feel like taking in the sights, smells, and sounds, and ride conservatively.  Other times I feel weak, but push the pace to be at some place by some specific time.  But like I said, my inter- and intraday energy levels are variable...and after the rain delay I felt like riding.  I left the pavillion eager to get on the road.  Hands, butt, feet -- all the contact points my body makes with the bike -- felt good.  As the minutes ticked by, I grew stronger to the point where 19 mph was not enough.  I pushed ahead, loving every second of the exertion, and soon caught up with some of our usual lead riders.  I rode with them for the next 50 miles, and led their group for close to half that distance.  At one point I went "off the front" for 8 miles and averaged 23.4 mph during that stretch.  I was no longer restrained by Junior Kimbrough's "Done Got Old", nor was I reminded by Toby Keith that "I'm as good once as I ever was".  For those 8 miles, I rode like it was 2002.  The Herminator was unleashed, driven by AC/DC's "Thunderstruck", and rocketing up hills, slashing around curves, and accelerating on the straightaways.  The prisoners I didn't take are my witnesses.

But as all good things come to an end to sometimes be replaced by other good things, we came upon the White Turkey Drive-In, a misnomer for sure.  This place doesn't just beckon you in, it locks onto you with a tractor beam and extracts you from your surroundings. The White Turkey Drive-In is the first sight of the Emerald City after emerging from the Dark Forest.  Resistance was futile.

Open air walk-up "drive-in"......


....with huge root beer floats in frosted mugs!
(Thanks to Brick of XC2013 for the advanced notice!)

Happy, happy, happy at the White Turkey Drive-In in Conneaut, OH.
(L to R: Fast Barry, me, King Richard, and Powerful Pierre) 
 After we taught the hot dogs and root beer floats a lesson about the food chain and listened to Elvis's "Jail House Rock" and Chuck Berry's "Johnny B. Goode" on the counter top jukebox, we moved on.  Within a mile, we said goodbye to Ohio and hello to Pennsylvania.

10th state line (2 photos)



Still on nice roads with paved shoulders

Now that he has announced his retirement, King Richard is a pensioner
and considering potential new pathways in life.
We stay in 3-star hotels every night, but the Sheraton in Erie is a noted exception.

Just arriving at our hotel for the next two nights (includes rest day)
  

View from the wall of windows in my room on the 7th floor.
I retired to this room after a breakthrough, turn-back-the-clock day of riding.
I then walked out to the lakeside veranda in the mid-afternoon sun where I enjoyed
 a savory lake perch sandwich and washed it down with a pint of cold Blue Moon ale .
Sucks to be me.

CrossRoads Day 39 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Niles OH to Erie PA
Tomorrow (Jun 19) we stay in Erie for our final rest day.  
On Friday, Jun 20, we ride 79 miles to Hamburg. NY .

9 comments:

  1. Though you don't know me, I'm Barbie a XC09,10, and 11 rider. I am enjoying reliving the experience reading your blog. Say hi to Rick and Jan. Darrell will join you in Erie, he and I road 2 weeks together over the years... Ridin' on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbie. I'm happy that this blog lets you ride virtually with us. I know I'll be reading the writings from next year too. I hear 6 riders have already registered for XC2015. Will say Hi to Rick and Jan for you, and Darrell too once I meet him. Safe rides!

      Delete
  2. OK Herm, can you bring me one of those root beer floats to Albany? I may join XC2014 for the ride from Albany to Brattleboro. A hilly day--like one loooonnnngggg hillll. Need to pick up my training for LeJog. Not in XC013 riding condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brick. Would if I could, but I'd also be a marked man if I tried. I'd be left beaten in some drainage ditch, my bike would be gone, and there'd be root beer stains on at least 5 XC2014 riders' jerseys. It would be great for you to join us. Quite a few of the other XC2014 riders were also influenced by your blog last year.

      Delete
  3. You so accurately capture the mental and physical ups and downs and the musical references just enhance the imagery. In the White Turkey Drive-In photo, I see a a leaner, battle hardened Hermanator. If you are into minor league baseball, the Erie Seawolves (AA Tiger farm team) is playing at home tomorrow night. The stadium is about six blocks from the hotel. There is also a nice beach on the Presque Isle which is only a short boat ride from the docks in front of the hotel. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike. Yeah, It feels like I've lost about 5 lbs, so power-to-weight ratio might be up. You were spot-on about fatigue being a constant companion. Sorry about the batch writing and mismatched dates lately. A perfect storm of factors arose that stalled my writing for a few days. I'm caught up now and hope to stay current through the end. I'll revisit this area with Doreen, maybe this summer. It will be fun to go through the little towns again, see a Seawolves game (if a real Seawolf looks like a weasel, I saw one on the dock last night), visit Presque Isle, and get another dog and float at White Turkey with her.

      Delete
  4. Herm, I'm not sure if you arrived in Erie today (Thursday) or yesterday. There may not be a ball game tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just getting caught up on your blog. Glad to see you had a power day. The conditioning appears to have caught up with you. Hope the rest of your journey goes as strong.

    ReplyDelete