Monday, June 23, 2014

Day 43: Canandaigua to Syracuse NY

Our morning started with perfect weather -- 59F, clear sky, sunshine, and a light breeze.  As in recent days, the roads had wide paved shoulders in good condition.  Once again I started out with Michael, Michelle, and Tim.  We were followed by Chuck and two riders who did this same XC trip with Chuck in 2012.  Today's route covered 76 miles for me -- a scheduled 69 and another 7 chasing a wild goose.

Early morning on SR 20E.
 By Mile 5 I was overheating and stopped to remove my wind breaker.  The group kept moving as is the custom when no one else wants to stop.  I think we all figured I'd catch up to them at some point down the road.  I know I felt that way, at least until I was enticed to go off route like the day I visited the Wilbur Wright birthplace and museum.  This time I was persuaded turn north by a sign stating Seneca Castle was 2 miles down this side road.  Because our route was relatively short today (69 miles) and the Wilbur Wright side trip was rich in interest and entertainment, I made the turn anticipating a satisfying little adventure.

Along the road to Seneca Castle.  The sight and  mildly sweet smell of recently tilled earth.

A castle-related business.  I must be getting close.  I wonder who built the castle and why.


A welcome sign.  Hmm, maybe it's up ahead behind the trees.
I rode 2 miles from our original route to be welcomed to Seneca Castle, plus another mile past the welcome sign to a church and an old gas station converted to a house.  There were no further signs or directions.  While riding through the hamlet, I saw a woman walking toward the church.  I smiled and told her I was riding cross country and happened upon the sign along the main road directing me this way.  She smiled back and walked up to me.  I asked her where the castle is located. "Oh", she said, "That's just the name of the village.  We don't have a castle here."  After a little more Sunday morning chit chat, I thanked her for her time.  We both wished each other a good day and safe journeys.  On the way back to the main route, I couldn't stop thinking about the times I took a desolate exit off an interstate highway because a sign indicated I would find a Starbucks or a McDonald's there, only to find I'd have to travel another 2-3 miles to get to it. Of course that would be somewhat annoying as well, but at least in those cases the exit kept its promise eventually. But as far as I can tell, there are no plans to have a castle in Seneca Castle.

The next community along the route today was Geneva, a beautiful city on the northeast part of Seneca Lake, the largest of the Finger Lakes.  Apparently they do have a castle.

Billboard advertising a castle in Geneva.

Beautiful park on Seneca Lake in Geneva.



Another beautiful town was Seneca Falls



Osprey in large stick nest atop a power wire tower in the Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge (2 photos).

Celebrating another milestone at the Mile 38 SAG stop.
Every mile since 1700 has been a new personal best for me for total year mileage.
We had several opportunities to see parts of the Erie Canal -- the inland waterway
connecting Lake Erie to the Atlantic Ocean. Reading more about this project and the areas it affected
is high on my reading list when this trip is over.

Aquaduct used to provide water to the locks on the Erie Canal..


View of a typical road scene in the early afternoon before transitioning to heavier traffic near Syracuse.

Approximately 10 miles before arriving at the hotel, I told Chuck that Brick (XC2013 rider) had described a great hot dog stand located just a few miles from the hotel.  Chuck liked the idea, so the plan was to make a quick stop.  We got it half right....the stop part.

Heid's of Liverpool
Food You'll Like

A line out the door at 3pm on Sunday.
Tables inside and outside are half-full with hot dog eaters.

The line stayed orderly through the selection, ordering, and fulfillment process
as if you were in a cafeteria line at a baseball park....only friendlier.
My mid-afternoon snack.
After 76 miles, this tasted goooooood!

Tomorrow (Mon, Jun 23), we ride 70 miles to Herkimer, NY.  Yeah, I haven't either.

9 comments:

  1. Awesome dude. Very impressive you felt peppy enough to venture off on a side ride. I want one of those meals as well. You might try Jumpin' Jacks on the Mohawk River right before Schenectady. Fun location.https://www.google.com/maps/place/Jumpin'+Jack's+Drive-In/@42.822217,-73.956494,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89de6e15d27682d7:0x7212a57281921860

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its been an amazing journey to follow in your blog. Excitement must be building as you get close to putting your wheel in the Atlantic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denis. I'm trying to keep a level head for now. Apparently accidents happen during the final week when riders lose focus. I'll be smelling the roses these last few days.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if I'm more surprised there was no castle or that you intentionally added miles to your trip! I guess that's part of enjoying the journey. Impressive work, keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dennis. Will see you soon. Can't wait to meet Cora!

      Delete
  4. Only a few days left, I've followed your blog goings most days

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you were along for the ride Chris. I see myself doing the same in future years. Hope your rides are safe and smooth this year!

      Delete
    2. Herm, I'm just doing St Malo to Nice this summer. Brick is coming over and I will try and join him for some of LEJOG. I plan to do LA - Boston again in 2023! A target to keep fit! Best wishes for the last few days.
      Chris Oliver
      Twitter @cyclingsurgeon

      Delete