Monday, June 16, 2014

Day 35: Indianapolis to Richmond IN

We started the ride with clear skies, but a cool temperature of 52F.  No matter, we were prepared with appropriate layers and knew we would be shedding the extra stuff within a few hours when the temperatures would creep into the low 70Fs.  It was generally a peaceful road only with occasional short bursts of traffic. There weren't many hills, and there wasn't much wind.  The following photos provide a flavor of the sights from today's ride.

Typical view along our main road SR 234E.

Crop rotation -- soybeans this year in last year's corn field.
 (not sure why the stalks weren't tilled under)
Cut hay has been pushed into wind rows before baling.
Preparing rides for carnival/fair season (2 photos)



Entering New Castle (population 18,000) on SR 234E
Approaching old downtown New Castle.  Very clean, but little activity early Sat morning.
As with many small towns, most of the commerce was closer to the interstate highway.

As I was riding by an outside display of old bikes, I spotted a model I had when I was 12 years old -- a black 3-speed sold by Sears (2 photos).  We called these bikes "English racers" back then -- but Geoffrey gave me the raised eyebrow when I mentioned it to him.

Almost more gears than I needed.

Past New Castle, I started seeing signs advertising the Wilbur Wright birthplace home and museum in Millville, IN.  This was not on the CrossRoads route for the day, but I decided to take a side trip to Millville see what this was all about.  The Wright brothers operated a bicycle shop at the time they were learning about flight.


Full scale replica of the plane flown at Kitty Hawk.






After touring the Wilbur Wright museum for about 30 minutes, I returned to 
the main route, spied this young fox when he suddenly emerged next to driveway culvert.  I was also able to capture video below.


Video of young fox


Nostalgia-related businesses in Greens Fork, IN

Mural on side wall of nostalgia business building



Bike art along SR 234E

I noticed this sign first, but I think it belies the serious nature of this group whose members are interested
in the earth sciences, minerals, fossils, and related artwork.

I noticed their building second, and this certainly appears more serious and scholarly.







The Wayne County Government Center building in Richmond commands your attention from every direction.

CrossRoads Day 35 Google Earth image and Elevation Profile
Indianapolis to Richmond IN

No comments:

Post a Comment